Monday 17 June 2013

Threshold

Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
The Cheshire Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.
Alice: I don't much care where.
The Cheshire Cat: Then it doesn't much matter which way you go.
Alice: So long as I get somewhere.
The Cheshire Cat: Oh, you're sure to do that, if only you walk long enough.”
- Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

Threshold, a new beginning, an entrance, all those words were buzzing in my mind for a long time. I tried to co- relate the word with our life and found many similarities. In fact many, many similarities. The word may have different connotations and hold a different significance for people.

Comparing threshold to our life, becoming a teenager, beginning college, becoming someone’s sister in law etc. all are new beginnings for us. I feel that each day of our colourful and sometimes not so colourful life is a threshold. With so many opportunities being thrust at us, we keep on wondering which doorknob to turn and enter. Just like Alice got somewhere after crossing many thresholds, same is with us human beings. Days are also like doors. One day ends and we are at the threshold of another day.

Memories, happy, sad and bittersweet speed through my mind like flashes of lightning. All the numerous thresholds that were crossed, the real and imaginary doors that were stepped into all are being remembered. Oh, that hilarious moment when I actually ran into a glass door and instead of stepping out of the door, the broken glass pieces stepped out of me.

The emergency horns in the flight are blaring. I am standing on the wing of the airplane. We had to evacuate the plane due to some glitches. The next moment would be a threshold, a threshold to be a part of the wind and be a companion of its wanderings. I only have to walk or rather fly long enough.
3-2-1 and...

No comments:

Post a Comment